Thankfully, wearing glasses is more than just being able to see clearly. Forget those thick, unwieldy plastic frames in dark hues that one bravely sported by day and night. Welcome to the New World where eyeglasses are as much a fashion statement as a functional tool to help you see better. No more excuses for not flaunting eyewear that suits your face shape perfectly. That’s not to say that if you’re one of those lucky guys with 20/20 vision, you don’t need to read this. Check out the ‘vanity frames’ with non-corrective lenses—read zero prescription computer glasses—that every man who stares at a screen all day should be wearing.
It’s time to start looking at your glasses as part of a fashion ensemble, the shape and frame really needs to compliment your features and face shape, not blend into them. Do eyeglasses for men’s face shape really matter? Think of your pair(s) as an expression of your unique style, much like your tie or blazer. The color of the frame is equally important, it should match your complexion, your clothes, and your personality.
How To Choose Glasses For Men’s Face Shape
So, here’s a simple rule to help you get started. Since most of us—except perhaps Hrithik Roshan—have a less than perfect face and features, figure out what your face is lacking and get frames that provide that. For instance, if you have an angular face with a sharp nose and jawline, you want to get a pair of rounded glasses to add some curves to your face. Meanwhile, if you have a round face with chubby cheeks, you should go for rectangular or straight cut glasses to add definition.
How To Measure Men’s Face Types
Before we can get to the list of best-suited eyeglasses, it’s important to first determine your face shape! It’s quite simple and we’re sure you’ll be able to decipher it in no time. While this is an article mainly focused on men’s face shapes this trick also works for identifying women’s face shape. You’ll need a measuring tape or ruler to get started.
Step 1: Forehead
Measure the length from one tip of your eyebrow arch to the other.
Step 2: Cheekbones
Measure the length between the highest points of your cheekbones, this should be just below the outer corners of your eyes.
Step 3: Jawline
Measure the length between the widest part of your jawline, which is just below your ears.
Step 4: Face Lenght
Measure the length of your face from the tip of your forehead to the edge of your chin.
Keep these measurements handy while you read the next part of this article on face types for men. This will help determine your face shape and the best eyeglasses for you.
Here are some common dos and don’ts when it comes to finding eyeglasses for different face shapes:
1 Glasses For Round Face – Men
If you have a wide forehead, full cheeks and a rounded chin, you have a round face shape. Look in the mirror. If you can’t see strong lines and angles, then you need to avoid frames that make your face appear even rounder. Choose eyewear frames that are angular and slimming, like flat, rectangular lenses. These will make your face look longer and thinner.
Always go for frames where the corners are squared off rather than rounded. Thick frames can look clunky on round faces so opt for sleek, thin frames. When choosing glasses for men’s face shapes, look for vibrant prints, patterns, and colors, and bold embellishments that add contrast. Choose a clear or thin bridge to make your eyes look wider. Finally, pick a style with adjustable nose pads to keep your frames high on your nose bridge so the glasses don’t settle on your cheeks.
Best glasses for round face – male:
- Gunmetal Black Full Rim Rectangle Lenskart Air Signia VC E11289-C1 Eyeglasses
- Grey Orange Blue Full Rim Rectangle Lenskart Air LA Silicon VC E12310-C2 Eyeglasses
- Black Grey Full Rim Rectangle John Jacobs TR FLEX JJ E11831-C1 Eyeglasses
2 Glasses For Men’s Square-Shaped Face
If you have strong jawline, a broad chin and angular features, then you have a square-ish face. You need thinner frames with curves or rounded edges to soften the angles on your face. Don’t make the mistake of opting for narrow, rectangular lenses because thus frame shape can make you look like you have a permanent squint.
As far as frames go, opt for round, oval, or cat-eye because they complement a square face and lengthen and soften your features. Choosing thick, dark frames can make a square face look overpowering and draw attention away. Pick neutral hues, beige, cream, rose gold or taupe to make your face appear slimmer and softer.
Best glasses for square face shape – male:
- Gold Brown Rimless Round Eye Player SLEEK STEEL E001 Eyeglasses
- Matte Silver Matte Grey Green Full Rim Round Lenskart Air Silicon VC E12309-C3 Eyeglasses
- Blue Transparent Gunmetal Full Rim Round John Jacobs Feather Flex JJ E13181 – C3 Eyeglasses
- Black Silver Full Rim Round John Jacobs Supreme Steel JJ E11681-C1 Eyeglasses
3 Glasses For An Oval Face – Male
An oval face shape for men is the ideal face shape because the proportions are balanced with a narrow forehead, high cheekbones and a narrow chin. Your frames should be as wide or slightly wider than the broadest part of the face. Dual toned frames also look great with those high cheekbones typical of an oval face shape.
Too square or circular a frame (where the height and width are almost equal) may look a little clunky for your face. Specs for oval face (male) should be thicker squared-off frames or round frame can add definition to your face. You would also look good in the classic and versatile rectangular silhouette for a really professional look. Oversized frames are not for you because your features are already pretty proportionate and don’t need balancing.
Best glasses for oval face shape – men:
- Black Gold Full Rim Rectangle Vincent Chase SLEEK STEEL VC E12395-C1 Eyeglasses
- Tortoise Full Rim Rectangle Vincent Chase VOGUE VC E13441-C2 Eyeglasses
- Silver Silver Transparent Full Rim Hexagonal John Jacobs Supreme Steel JJ E12699-C2 Eyeglasses
- Blue Block Phone & Computer Glasses: Matte Green Silver Black Full Rim Rectangle Lenskart Air Classic LA E13246-C7
4 Glasses For Men’s Heart Shaped Face
The two distinguishing features of a heart-shaped face are high cheekbones and a jawline that tapers to a defined chin. Your face resembles a heart in that its widest at the top and narrowest at the bottom (like an inverted triangle). If you have a wide forehead, high cheekbones, and a narrow, pointed chin, your face is heart shaped. Stay away from anything too blocky or squared-off, it will throw the curves of your face off balance.
Very narrow frames will look lost on your face so opt for thicker silhouettes. Frames in light colors or with dual tones, and tortoise patterns will look good on you. Hybrid cat eyes will particularly look stunning.
Best glasses for heart shaped face – men:
- Tortoise Gold Full Rim Square Vincent Chase HD Acetate VC E11797-C2 Eyeglasses
- Black Full Rim Round John Jacobs Rich Acetate JJ E10334-C1 Eyeglasses
- Black Brown Transparent Gold Brown Full Rim Round John Jacobs Rich Acetate JJ E12980-C1 Eyeglasses
- Grey Transparent Grey Full Rim Rectangle Lenskart Air Signia VC E12381-C1 Eyeglasses
5 Glasses For Men’s Oblong Shaped Face
The oblong face is long and slender. You most likely have high cheekbones, a long nose, and a prominent forehead. To make your face appear more proportionate and shorter, you should look for frames that have more depth than width. Ideally, you should avoid narrow and rectangular frame shapes that will make your face appear longer.
The perfect frame will have some decorative details and contrasting temples that visually add width to your face. Look for a mix of colors and textures, and even broad rims with color accented tops or upswept corners to balance your high cheekbones.
Best glasses for oblong face shape – men:
- Black Blue Transparent Black Full Rim Rectangle John Jacobs Rich Acetate JJ E10232-C4 Eyeglasses
- Dual Color Blue Brown Half Rim Round Vincent Chase SLEEK STEEL VC E12319-C1 Eyeglasses
- Black Blue Full Rim Wayfarer Lenskart Air Classic VC E11157 – C5 Eyeglasses
- Blue Block Phone & Computer Glasses: Black Transparent Full Rim Rectangle John Jacobs Rich Acetate JJ E12785-C2
6 Glasses For Men’s Diamond Shaped Face
A diamond shaped face is characterized by broad, distinctive cheekbones and a narrow jawline. Somewhat similar to the heart-shaped face because of the high cheekbones, yours is a more angular face and you need frames that will soften your sharp angles and draw attention to your eyes.
Look for frames that either have sharp, defined angles to complement the angular features of your face. Your other option is to look for wider frames that balance your look and add a hint of drama to your features. Avoid narrow frames because they will simply call out your angles even more sharply.
Best glasses for diamond face shape – men:
- Black Full Rim Hexagonal Vincent Chase SLEEK STEEL VC E12391-C1 Eyeglasses
- Blue Block Phone & Computer Glasses: Pink Transparent Full Rim Hexagonal Vincent Chase Vagabond VC E13299-C3
- Purple Transparent Silver Gray Full Rim Wayfarer Lenskart Air Signia VC E11821-C1 Eyeglasses
Choosing The Color Of Your Frames
You love a dash of color on your frames but clearly cheery reds and bright blues don’t go down well in stuff corporate boardrooms. You dear friend, need to own more than one frame that goes perfectly with every mood and occasion.
Eyeglasses for men’s face shape some in all the colors of the rainbow, but which one would suit your the best? Let’s find out…
If you spend most days in a suit-and-tie, then you need traditional, neutral options that go well with a formal dress code. Think base metallic colors (gold and silver) or fine rimmed black. Reserve brights, embellished and adventurous shapes for your after-hour partying.
- Gold Tortoise Full Rim Aviator Vincent Chase VC SLEEK STEEL VC E11792-C4 Eyeglasses
- Black Gold Full Rim Square John Jacobs Supreme Steel JJ E11676-C1 Eyeglasses
Out for a date or an evening out with friends calls for some color. You have the option of adding color, either as the solid base of the frames or as part of the detailing. Thinner frames may be best for men looking to add color, very thick, brightly-colored frames might end up looking a bit OTT.
- Black Purple Full Rim Cat Eye Lenskart Air Classic VC E12408-C1 Eyeglasses
- Brown Blue Transparent Brown Full Rim Wayfarer John Jacobs Rich Acetate JJ E11727-C1 Eyeglasses
- Lenskart Air: Gunmetal Orange Grey Line Half Rim Rectangle Lenskart AIR Online Classic VC E10210-C5 Eyeglasses
Which Frame Material Is Right For You?
Luckily for you, eyewear technology has advanced by leaps and bounds and today, there are dozens of different chemicals and alloys used to make eyeglass frames. Plastics and nylon-based composites are usually used for brightly-colored glasses, though painted metals are also now widely available.
In order to choose the right glasses for your face shape, you need to know about the frame options available. Take a look at the best materials of glasses for men’s face shape.
TR90 is a popular thermoplastic material that’s often used; it’s incredibly durable, flexible, and lightweight and since it’s so flexible, frames made of it can bend under pressure and contour your face comfortably.
- Black Gunmetal Full Rim Rectangle John Jacobs TR Flex JJ E11499-C1 Eyeglasses
- Blue Block Phone & Computer Glasses: Transparent Full Rim Round Lenskart BLU Glasses LB E13535-C4
Ultem is another popular material often used; It’s a semi-transparent, high strength plastic material that is resistant to hot water and steam and doesn’t lose shape. It is as lightweight and flexible as titanium. Utlem frames first became popular in Korea and Japan in 2010.
- Green Transparent Full Rim Rectangle Lenskart Air LA Flex VC E11480-C2 Eyeglasses
- Black Full Rim Rectangle Lenskart Air Clip on VC E11412/N-C1 Eyeglasses
A very popular material currently being used is Acetate. It’s a nylon-based plastic that’s a lot stronger, more durable, and flexible than regular plastic. Since it’s so lightweight it is super comfortable for all day wear without causing discomfort and without slipping off your nose every few minutes.
- Black Full Rim Rectangle Vincent Chase ACTIVE ACETATE VC E13200-C1 Eyeglasses
- Brown Tortoise Full Rim Rectangle Vincent Chase ACTIVE ACETATE VC E13476 – C2 Eyeglasses
Then of course, there is the timeless appeal of metal, titanium and titanium alloys thanks to their light weight and flexibility. Be cautious about opting for cheaper blended metals if you have sensitive skin. Thug slightly more expensive titanium is a good bet if you’re looking for durability and class.
- Blue Block Phone & Computer Glasses: Metal Black Full Rim Rectangle Vincent Chase Steel Escobar VC E12404-C1
- Blue Rimless Rectangle John Jacobs Pro Titanium JJ E10267-C2 Eyeglasses
Glasses For Men’s Face Shape: FAQs
- Do men’s face shape matter for buying eyeglasses?
- How to choose the right eyeglasses for men’s face shape?
- How should glasses fit as per men’s face shape?
- How to measure men’s face shape before buying eyeglasses?
Of course! Just like body shape matters when shopping for jeans, tailoring a suit so does face shape matter when choosing eyeglasses, sunglasses, and even your hairstyle.
The first step to choosing the right eyeglasses is to identify your face shape. Once you get that right, choose eyeglasses that highlight your best features. For example, if you have square shape face, highlight your strong jawline with sleek, soft edge frames like round eyeglasses.
The best and easiest way to determine the frame size of your eyeglasses is with the credit card method, explained in detail here
It’s always a good idea to determine your face shape and frame size before buying eyeglasses online. You can use the methods mentioned in this article to find out your face shape and use the frame size guide on Lenskart to choose the right eyeglasses size for your face.